Sunday, February 24, 2013

Purim then and now, and always


Old Midrasha Purim 2011 - my friend and then room-mate Liora "Pippy Long stockings" and me "self made pirate or Clint Eastwood vs Moshe Dayan", scary!

It's been snowing like mad for two whole days or even more. So I very much doubt we're taking Ezra to the Purim dinner at the community centre. We can't definitely move the stroller in this snow, our car is also covered with beautiful fluffy whiteness, plus the baby car seat got really small and uncomfortable for Ezra. Usually we don't get to ride in car with our dad that often, we mostly use public transport which is a blessing in Germany. Always on time, clean and clear.

As for Purim itself. It's magical. If you remember, the story takes place in Shushan, place in Persia, where it must have been very hot and nothing like Germany. Anyway, thousands of years later we're still in exile, thousands of miles away from Persia as well, and still, all the Jews celebrate Purim the same: reading megillat Esther, singing, children making lots of noise with groggers, everyone dressing up like queen Esther or Mordechai, King Achashverosh or evil Haman, and so on.

As it most of the time happens to me, I packed up the mishloach manot and then remember I had to take photos. Well, missed it.

All right, and what did I make?
1) Lemon cupcakes (although my husband is not fond of it, he liked it this time)
2) MUST have Hamantaschen
3) Gozinaki - traditional Georgian sweet made of honey and various nuts and seeds.

What else did I put in Mishloach Manot?
4) Fruits
5) Teabags
6) Fruit juice (you're supposed to give drinks)

Someone told me the other day that Purim is the day when one has to pray a lot because it's time when your prayers are heard. Then she added, don't waste your Sunday on wrapping up the presents, but pray.
That's when I realised me and that person would never get along. Not that I am very bad at praying, actually I am, no, that person just ignored the idea behind mishloach manot. Hey, it's not just wrapping up presents and getting rid of them, but putting all you heart and soul to make people happy. That is definitely my idea of it. So I skip praying part and go directly to wrapping up which I've already done.

You know what? There are no special times for praying. G-d hears us ANYTIME we're ready to talk. He's not an Oberburgermeister (kind of mayor for German cities) who has specific times to receive audiences and listen to them. He's not HUMAN, people, He just was, is and will be, remember? Purim is absolutely about coming together, having good time, sing, dance, laugh and give each other presents, not only material, but just a hug, or smile, or say a funny joke and make somebody's moody day.

Happy Purim!!!

P.S. I guess I am dressing up as a Persian lady today, have no other choice anyway, my mother couldn't come this time and we're left without our Purim clothes - Georgian national costumes, that was. Hopefully next time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oberburgermeister :D :D :D

Anonymous said...

Many people think He is Oberburgermeister though.

Happy Purim!

Talia said...

I read this post a few weeks ago, but wanted to come back and comment and say YUM!! I wish I was celebrating Purim with you and could eat these yummy things!